Sunday, January 23, 2011

Product Review: Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Hearty Whole Grain Bread


Ok, I'll be honest with you.
The day after I decided to go WF/GF, I almost had a panic attack, thinking I would never be able to eat bread again.

So I went to the grocery store to replace ALL that food I couldn't eat anymore, and I found this Bob's Red Mill bread mix. At $5.69, per bag OF MIX, I'd like to remind you, it was NOT cheap.

I came home, made the batter (which smelled weird, but I figured it was a WF/GF thing), and then baked it.


It looks good, huh? This is how it looked when it came out of the oven. Dark, full of seeds, just the way I like normal gluten-ated bread. I won't lie, it tasted okay for about 10 minutes after it came out of the oven. After that, something went wrong.

Horribly and inexplicably wrong.

The flavor and the texture are so awful, that it seriously takes all I can do to stifle my gag reflex. It sat in the fridge for days, just looking at me, because I couldn't come to terms with throwing a $5.69 loaf of bread in the garbage.

It ended up there anyway. Do yourself a favor -- don't waste your money on this one!

2 comments:

  1. I'm telling you, gluten must taste freakin' AWESOME because I am yet to find a decent tasking gluten-free bread product. But I am not giving up hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, go to Publix, look in the "Ethnic" section of the freezer (why GF foods are ethnic, I have yet to understand) and get you a loaf of Udi's GF Whole Grain. It taste just like regular bread!! I love it!! And it's only like $4.69 a loaf.

    ReplyDelete