Friday, September 3, 2010

Salmon en Papillote on The Grill


So last night I decided to make some salmon on the grill. What I really wanted was smoked salmon, but found that the price of cedar planks (at $6.99 for two) was a little much to pay for just me. I could have seen spending that much if I were having company for dinner (yeah, right!). 

Then I found that Emeril Lagasse now has his face on a smoker bag. They come in Hickory and Alder, which made me a little excited. It was $3.99 for one bag, more economical for one person, and I thought it would be easier to use since I don't have a fancy-schmancy grill with a thermostat. Well, it was easy to use. Just put the fish in (I added some sliced lemons, also) and put it in a pre-heated grill (I had one side on high, one side on low) and let it cook 20 minutes per pound.

The results, however, were less than stellar. The fish steamed more than it smoked (hence, the "en papillote" title) and only had a VERY faint tinge of smoke. I was a little more than disappointed.

I do have to say that the recommended cooking time was on point, it was cooked perfectly. However, I don't think I'll be buying this product again (the smoker bag NOT the salmon!). C'mon Emeril, you can do better than this!


No comments:

Post a Comment