Friday, August 27, 2010

To Kenya with Love

Some weeks ago, I ran into my friend Francis at the Post Office. "That's not very interesting," you may be saying to yourself, and you'd be right. We all run into friends as we go about our days.

Francis is from Kenya, I met him when we worked together. He moved to the US a few years back to work and go to school. As we chatted, I was reminded that I had promised (years ago when we first met) that I would learn to make Pilau Rice and Beef Stew, one of his favorite dishes from home. I hadn't done it yet, though. "Why?", I asked myself. I had no answer, so I went home and began to do a little research.

It seems as if Pilau Rice and Beef Stew is the National Dish of Kenya, but I couldn't find a concise recipe. It seems that everyone in Kenya has their own version. This is mine. One day, I hope I can make it again. But this time, I hope to share it with the friend who inspired me to learn to make it in the first place!



Kenyan Beef Stew


I made mine in the crock pot just so I wouldn't have to keep checking on it. I cooked it on high for a couple hours then turned it down to low and let it cook for 3 more hours, or, until the meat was nice and tender.

2 T. oil
2 pounds beef, cubed (I used a Chuck Tender Roast and cut it up)
2 green bell peppers, chopped for stew
2 carots, chopped for stew
1 large or 2 small onions, chopped
1 1/2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1 t. coriander seeds, ground fine, or more to taste
2 t. hot madras curry powder, or more to taste
1/2 t. black peppercorns, ground fine, or more to taste
Seasoning Salt (which I didn't have any of; so I used a blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika)

Saute the onion in oil until brown. Add tomatoes and peppers and cook down for a few minutes. Add carrots, coriander and black pepper, transfer to crock pot. Sprinkle meat with seasoning salt (or blend) and brown in batches, transferring to the crock pot after each batch. When meat is almost tender add curry powder and salt to taste.



Pilau Rice

First you must make a Masala.

Pilau Masala

1 1/2 T. cumin seeds
1 T. cardamom seeds (I used the seeds from 5 black and 5 green cardamom pods)
1/2 t. black peppercorns
1/2 t. ground cinnamon (or 1 2" piece of cinnamon stick)
6 whole cloves

Finely grind all ingredients in a spice mill.

For Rice

1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 can petite diced tomatoes
2 cups rice (I used organic brown but you could use basmati which is original to the recipe)
4 cups water
2 t. pilau masala
2 T. oil or butter

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Saute onion in oil or butter until brown. Add spices, cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Add rice, mixing to coat each grain. Add tomatoes and water and bring rice up to a full rolling boil. When rice has started boiling, turn off the heat and put a lid on and place in oven. Cook for 25 minutes.

*If you do use brown rice, you may have to cook it in the oven for longer than the 25 minutes specified.*

No comments:

Post a Comment