Thursday, October 14, 2010

Steamed Mussels My Way



Yesterday I decided I needed to get out of the house for awhile. Stretch my legs. Get some fresh air. So where did I end up? *The Grocery Store.* Yep, you heard me. The grocery store.

So while I was there, much to my surprise, they had fresh mussels! I know that doesn't sound very exciting to all of you that live in civilization -- but let me remind you, yet again, that I live in BFE. So, I knew I had to have them!


Steamed Mussels

1.5 pounds mussels
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped (save some of the green top for garnish)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1/3 cup tomatoes (I used canned fire roasted)
1 cup white wine
3 Tablespoons cold butter

The first thing you have to do is clean the mussels. I added about a 1/4 cup whole wheat flour to a big bowl and then filled it with approx. 8 cups of water. I then added the mussels and let them soak for at least 30 minutes, so they would release any sand they may have contained. (You can also use cornmeal, or grits. As the mussels eat this substance they "spit out" the sand.) After I let them soak, I dumped them into a collander, and examined them closely. Any mussels that are not closed or will not close when tapped, should be THROWN AWAY, as they are already dead and not to be eaten. Scrub your mussels really good at this point and remove their beards. Put them in the frig while you get everything else ready.

Add the olive oil to a skillet or pot and when heated (the oil will become shimmery) add the onions (both white and green), garlic, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until onions become translucent (being careful not to brown). Next add your tomatoes and cook for another minute or two to marry the flavors. Add your mussels and toss. Add white wine, turn up the heat, and cover. Bring wine to a boil and cook for 3 minutes or until mussels have opened. (Any mussels that don't open should be THROWN AWAY.)

After your mussels have opened, remove them from pan, and keep warm. (I just put them in a bowl and covered them with the lid from the pan I used.) Crank up the flame to HI and reduce sauce by 2/3. When sauce is reduced, turn off heat, and add butter, 1Tablespoon at a time, until combined. (This will thicken your sauce.)

Pour sauce over mussels and garnish with reserved green onion tops (that I almost forgot!). Serve with good crusty bread and a salad if you'd like.




4 comments:

  1. I have to ask...I have never had Mussels before...What can you compare their taste to? Oysters, clams?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know what to compare them to. They're more tender than a clam, not the same consistency as an oyster. They have a slight sweetness and if not overcooked are very delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics! I love switching out with fire roasted tomatoes!

    -Perry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for complimenting my photos, Perry! I'm still learning about lighting, food styling, and well, photography in general! LOL!

    ReplyDelete