Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet, and Bitter

I have never made Thai food. I've always been too afraid to try, to be honest. Too many of the ingredients always seemed so far out of my comfort zone that I'd become overwhelmed just READING a recipe, and I'd give up.

Well tonight, I decided to forge ahead and do it anyway! (Seems like I am doing a lot of these kinds of things lately. Going against my own grain. Stretching beyond my limits.) I'm either getting very courageous, or, I just don't care anymore. I have no idea.

They say that to make authentic Thai food, it must contain the flavor profiles of hot, sour, salty, sweet, and bitter. If that is the case, I must say, if this doesn't taste authentic, it HAS to be pretty darn close! I actually kind of impressed myself!

** I cannot find kaffir lime leaves where I live. No one sells them. So I have substituted bay leaves, lime zest, and lime juice instead. If you can get kaffir lime leaves, omit the bay leaves, lime zest, and juice, and use 3 kaffir lime leaves.**



Thai Coconut Chicken Curry

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 green onions, sliced on the bias
1/4 cup + 2 T. chopped cilantro
1 fresh jalapeno, sliced with seeds
1 fresh cayenne pepper, sliced with seeds
2 T. garlic ginger paste
2 T. Garden Gourmet lemongrass herb blend OR 2 lemongrass stalks, cut into 1 1/2" pieces and bruised
2 T. fish sauce
Zest of 1 large lime
Juice of 1 large lime
3 bay leaves
2 cans coconut milk

Put coconut milk in a pan (I used a deep-sided skillet). Add garlic ginger paste and lemongrass and stir to combine. Add onions, chiles, lime zest and juice, bay leaves, 1/4 c. chopped cilantro, and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer. Add the chicken and mushrooms. Bring back to a simmer and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

To serve garnish with 2 T. chopped cilantro and serve with rice or noodles.

This dish is spicy and does have a distinct bitterness, it is also sweet, and (mildly) salty, and a little bit sour. Whatever it is -- it is addictive!



No comments:

Post a Comment